Saturday, March 15, 2008

Deciding on thesis statement used for research paper


In deciding on the thesis statement is not an easy task to do. I myself take for a week to think of what to do whether poems, short stories, novel or play in completing my research paper. For me, this task is a crucial task as it carries 40 percent of my carry marks. For the very first time, I am risking my life to work on poem. My friends say that it is hard to put an effort on poem as the poem is short and we need to discover or elucidate the underlying discourse of the poem critically. Then, I dare myself to check on it so I pick poems by Sylvia Plath which are Daddy and Electra on Azalea Plath. Both of the poems represent the same theme which is the father and the daughter relationship. What is so special about the selected poems is I want to analyse or clarify why Sylvia Plath frequently wrote depressing poems about her relationship with her father. In my research paper, I will give a brief description of the poet’s background and the two men who have the biggest impact in her writing. Then, I will talk about how the poet’s background had influenced her writings. I will also discuss on the implications towards education. In running my research paper, sometimes I feel that I am a private investigator as I am searching for evidences and relate her past experiences with both her father and her husband. It is kind of annoying an activity to me but it helps a lot in utilizing my research paper a bit. After I have gone through half of the progress, then I come out with my own thesis statement which is examination of the theme in two poems by Sylvia Plath to see why she often wrote depressing poems about her relationship with her father.

After deciding on the topic, then I come out with my five strong points to support my thesis statement. Till today I still work on it.

No comments: